I Cannot Afford a Child Support Increase. What Do I Do?

Ask a Lawyer


My ex-spouse requested a review of our current child support order. It was granted, and both of our incomes have went up since the first order was put in place a few years ago. As a result, the support went up significantly, and I cannot afford this increase. What are my legal options?


Ohio attorney Daniel White

In Ohio, the state that I am licensed in, there are a lot of ways to get a reduction in child support, but not through the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA). The guideline support figure (the figure used by CSEA) is based upon the statutes, so entering the numbers properly is important. CSEA can only deal with the raw numbers, so deviation arguments have to be put before the court.

Grounds for deviations generally include expanded parenting time (parenting time exercised in excess of the standard order), extraordinary cost of exercising visitation, and in kind contributions (payments for the benefit of the child that are not child support).

However, in order to discuss your options more fully, you should consult an attorney in your state and make sure to bring the previous orders with you so they can have all necessary facts to advise you properly.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Ohio divorce lawyer Daniel White, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply