Legal Reasons Preventing My Appearance In Court

Ask a Lawyer


Do I lose my rights after a certain amount of time for not showing up to court in another state? The reason for not showing up on the actual court dates was because I wasn’t allowed to leave the state I was located in, for legal reasons. Additionally, I have documents to prove so.


Pennsylvania divorce attorney Caroline Thompson
Pennsylvania divorce attorney Caroline Thompson

I am not licensed in your state but will answer your question based upon my experience in my jurisdiction.  In my state, if you fail to appear for a custody hearing, you can lose your physical custody rights. 

However, in my state, custody is always modifiable so if there is a compelling reason that you did not appear you can file a petition to modify and ask the court to reinstate your physical custodial time.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Caroline Thompson, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply