How Do I Get Custody If My Wife Had Our Baby Out Of State?

Ask a Lawyer


How do I get custody of my child if my wife had our baby out of state?

Colorado family law attorney Miles Cottom
Colorado family law attorney Miles Cottom


Only a court in the state of which the child is a citizen has jurisdiction to make rulings regarding the child – including custody decisions.

Therefore, in order for you to get a ruling regarding custody of the child, an action must be filed in the state of which the child is a citizen.

Typically, to be considered a citizen of a state, a child must live in that state for at least six months. However, with a child under six months, it is generally presumed that the child is a citizen of the state in which he or she was born. This becomes more likely if the child is still in that state, as appears to be the case here.

Keep in mind this is just a general overview of how courts determine jurisdiction over children. There are various extraneous factors that could impact a particular court’s ability to hear a case, which makes it even more important to speak with a lawyer as soon as possible.

I would recommend consulting with a family law attorney in your state as soon as possible. They will be able to help you sort out your issues and take the appropriate steps to get you parenting time with your child.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than general divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply