Do I Need To Follow A Custody Order If I Move To A Different State?

Ask a Lawyer


If I was issued a custody order in Arizona granting sole legal and physical custody but now reside in Texas, do I still need to comply with the original custody order since I now live in a different state?

different state
Virginia divorce attorney Rebecca DeVincent


If you have a custody order from Arizona granting you sole legal and physical custody of your child, that order remains in effect until another order is entered.

If you moved to Texas with your child, the Arizona order still applies, but you should have it registered in Texas if you and the child have been living there for more than six months.

If there are provisions in the Arizona order that are not beneficial to your child anymore because of your move, you may be able to file a motion to modify the custody order.

Most states, including Virginia where I practice, allow you to petition a court to modify a custody order if there has been a material change of circumstances.

It is very likely that your move from Arizona to Texas is a material change of circumstances. You can modify the order in Texas so long as you register the order first.

You should contact an attorney licensed in Texas to go over your options for registering the order and filing a motion to modify if it would be beneficial to you and your child.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than tips on your situation, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney in Virginia, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply