Can My Ex Prevent My Children From Attending Family Therapy?

Ask a Lawyer


In an attempt to improve my relationship with my teenage children, I have contacted a counselor to attend with my kids.

However, my ex is very against counseling. She has contacted a lawyer and is now threatening to take away my visitation rights if I move forward with the counseling.

What can I do here?

Pennsylvania divorce attorney Maura Boogay


Typically, the laws of the states want to promote a health relationship with both parents, and at least in Pennsylvania, we see the courts encourage family counseling when it can help repair relationships or assist with transitions like divorce.

Often the courts in Pennsylvania like to see the parent proposing counseling first suggest the idea to opposing party and seek agreement in moving forward with therapy rather than just starting the children in counseling with no notice to the other parent.

This assumes the parents share in decision-making, which is referred to as legal custody in Pennsylvania.

Assuming decision-making is shared, the decision to enroll the children in therapy should be mutual.

You should consult with one of our local attorneys to see what remedies there may be through the court, as it may be necessary if your ex will not agree to the therapy.

If the opposing party unreasonably withholds agreement to enroll the children, it may be necessary to file a motion or petition with the court requesting the judge order counseling.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Maura Boogay, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply