My Spouse Took Most of the Furniture. What Are My Legal Options?

Ask a Lawyer


My spouse took most of the furniture. What are my legal options? Can I recover some of the items?


Oklahoma attorney Colby C. Pearce

I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state, but I can provide you with general tips in divorce.

One option you have is to file a petition for divorce. Depending on the laws in your state, the courts are generally going to divide the marital property equally between the parties or on an equitable basis. If they have removed all or most of the furniture, you can ask the court to order her to return the property to the residence during the pendency of your case. Alternatively, the court may offset the value of the property they took from any future property award to which they would otherwise be entitled.

If you are not interested in filing for divorce, you can certainly bring it to the attention of the local authorities, but they may refuse to get involved in a domestic matter.

If neither of these options are appealing, you may want to contact an attorney to discuss your options as there may be additional forms of relief under your state’s law. If you are considering divorce, please feel free to contact one of our many Cordell and Cordell offices in your state to find out what rights you have under your state’s law.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply