After Settling Without Lawyers, Can I Modify Alimony Payments?

Ask a Lawyer


My ex-spouse and I settled our divorce on our own a few years ago and did not involve any lawyers. I believe I am now overpaying alimony. Can I get it lowered?


New Jersey divorce attorney Diana Megalla
New Jersey divorce attorney Diana Megalla

While I am not licensed to practice law in your state, I can give some general guidance on this issue.

During a final divorce hearing, the judge usually questions you of your ability to counsel and your waiver of the right to the same. In the alternative, you probably signed something along those lines in your agreement. As such, generally, unless there was duress or you were misled, you cannot modify an agreement that you signed. However, you may be able to file a motion to modify alimony if there is a change in circumstance since the time you signed your agreement.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including New Jersey divorce attorney Diana Megalla, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply