Can a Soon-To-Be Ex-Spouse’s Relative Serve Me Divorce Papers?

Ask a Lawyer


Can my soon-to-be ex-spouse’s relative serve me divorce papers?


Pennsylvania attorney Ashley L. Folio Morgan

I do not practice law in your state. Therefore, I cannot inform you as to the specific laws of your state, but I can provide you with general tips in divorce.

If your state is similar to Pennsylvania, you are able to be served a divorce complaint by the sheriff or a competent adult.  A competent adult includes anyone over the age of 18, who is not a party to the action, nor an employee or relative of the action. Therefore, in Pennsylvania, your soon-to-be ex-wife’s relative would not be able to serve you divorce papers.

If you are avoiding service and do not want your soon-to-be ex-wife’s relative to be able to serve you your divorce papers, you will need to speak to an attorney in your state to determine the specific laws regarding service in your state. Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Ashley L. Folio Morgan, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply