My Ex-Spouse Received a Large Inheritance. Are They Still Entitled to Spousal Support?

Ask a Lawyer


My ex-spouse received a large inheritance. Are they still entitled to spousal support?


Arkansas attorney Giana M. Messore

I have not been retained as your attorney so I cannot give you legal advice. However, I can offer some general information that may help you.

If Colorado is similar to the state that I am licensed to practice in, Arkansas—which is the state where I practice—then the primary factor the courts in my state will consider in making or changing any spousal support award is the need of one spouse and the ability of the other spouse to pay.

The following are secondary factors that the court will consider: (1) financial circumstances of both parties; (2) the couple’s past standard of living; (3) the amount and nature of the parties’ current and anticipated incomes; (4) the extent and nature of each person’s resources and assets; (5) the amount of income of each party that is spendable; (6) the health condition and medical needs of each party; (7) the duration of the marriage; (8) the amount of any child support award; and (9) the earning ability and capacity of each party. Additionally, in my state, the trial court may consider in their decision on whether to award spousal support, additional factors based in light of the particular factors of the individual case.

If you want to modify an original order, then you can file a “Motion to Modify Spousal Support” with the court that ordered the original order. A Motion is a written request to the court. In Arkansas, you will have to show the court that there is reason to terminate or modify the current spousal support obligation because there has been a “significant and material change of circumstances.” Your basis for the “significant and material” change will be the substantial inheritance your ex-spouse has recently received.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Arkansas divorce lawyer Giana M. Messore, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply