Can I Get More Than 50 Percent Of My Home’s Equity?

Ask a Lawyer


I have lived in the marital residence for the past several years after my divorce, and have recently received an offer.

I have made a number of improvements to the home and increased it’s value considerably; however, the marital agreement (that only I signed) states my ex will get half the equity at time of sale.

Is it possible to get more than 50 percent since I put in the time and money?

Pennsylvania divorce attorney Jaimie Collins


In Pennsylvania, there is no default 50-50 division of marital assets and debts in a divorce. Therefore, it is in the court’s discretion as to the percentages assigned to each marital asset and marital debt.

Oftentimes, division of the marital estate is skewed in the dependent spouse’s favor.

If a party has contributed financially to improve the marital residence, he or she may argue that they should receive credit for that contribution and receive a greater portion of the net proceeds.

If parties are unable to agree to the division of net proceeds by the time of closing, then the funds should be placed in escrow until such time as the parties have reached an agreement or a court order is in place determining division of the proceeds.

An agreement signed by only one party is not a binding agreement.

You should consult with an attorney barred in your state to discuss the facts of your case and your jurisdiction’s approach to equitable distribution matters.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than tips on your situation, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Jaimie Collins, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply