How Do I Get My Full Pension After the Death of My Ex?

Ask a Lawyer


Now that my ex has passed, how do I regain her portion of my pension? It is currently being sent to our adult daughter.

Indiana divorce attorney Brooke Jones
Indiana divorce attorney Brooke Jones


The answer to your question will largely depend upon the wording of the document that transferred a portion or your pension to your ex-wife.

In Indiana, these documents are called Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO). What these documents do is divide pensions and retirement accounts so that one spouse receives a portion of the other spouse’s pension or retirement account as part of the final divorce settlement. These documents are usually drafted by one of the party’s attorneys.

What happens to your ex-wife’s share of your pension upon her death depends largely on the wording in the QDRO that transferred her share, and the trust and estate laws in your state. I recommend having a local attorney review your case and obtaining a copy of the QDRO used for your pension from the court in which you had your divorce.

QDROs are complicated documents that need to be drafted very specifically for each case, so an attorney licensed in your state is best going to advise you on what action to take next.

Good luck to you.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply