Can I Reopen Discovery If My Wife Hid Assets?

Ask a Lawyer


Can I reopen discovery if I have found evidence that my wife did not make a complete disclosure of assets or income, and can she sue me if I do not sign the Consent Order as it is currently written?

Wisconsin divorce attorney Anne Scipior
Wisconsin divorce attorney Anne Scipior


I would strongly recommend that you talk with a domestic litigation attorney in your area that can advise you specifically on your state’s laws regarding discovery, consent decrees and what to do if you feel your wife is not fully disclosing her assets.

In Wisconsin, where I practice, if I discover strong evidence that an opposing party has not disclosed an asset or income stream and discovery is closed, I can file a motion asking that discovery be reopened.

I would advise the court that I have proof or substantial reason to believe that an asset or income stream has not been disclosed and request that discovery be re-opened.

As for the Consent Order, I typically advise client’s not to sign anything that may result in giving up certain rights unless the client is comfortable with what he is signing and understands the implications of signing.

It sounds to me like you are uncomfortable with what you are being asked to sign, and the threat that you will be sued if you do not sign this document may or may not have any weight. It could just be a scare tactic.

That said, you should definitely consult with an attorney who can provide you specific advice on your rights in this situation.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than general divorce tips, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in your state and how they impact your case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Wisconsin divorce lawyer Anne C. Scipior, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply