Can I Start A Business If My Divorce Isn’t Finalized?

Ask a Lawyer


My soon-to-be ex and I have both signed off on the divorce decree, and we are now in the final waiting-period limbo before it is officially finalized.

Can I start a business?

I need to incorporate and want to be sure she cannot make any sort of claims on it since we have signed the paperwork and are just waiting out the final step.

start a business
Pennsylvania divorce attorney Maura Boogay


As a rule of thumb, the best thing to do in terms of creating a business interest or interest in a new asset is to wait until your divorce is final and the divorce decree is issued.

That being said, if you have entered into a Property or Marital Settlement Agreement that defines both parties’ property rights and interests and covers all possible scenarios and acquisition of future property and a mutual waiver thereto, you may be protected regardless of whether the decree has been issued.

My suggestion would be to take your settlement agreement or divorce order with all terms regarding financial and property rights to an attorney to be sure it covers future acquisition of business interests or assets generally.

If you do not have a settlement agreement that covers the issues described above, you would be best served waiting until your divorce is final before making any significant financial decisions. You should consult with one of our attorneys to see if you are insulated from any claims your wife could raise.

Remember, I am unable to provide you with anything more than divorce tips for men, so please consult a domestic litigation attorney in your area to obtain specific advice as to the laws in Texas and how they impact your potential case.

To arrange an initial consultation to discuss divorce rights for men with a Cordell & Cordell attorney, including Pennsylvania divorce lawyer Maura Boogay, contact Cordell & Cordell.

End of Content Icon

Leave a Reply